Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Wednesday Ride

Had a nice ride in the mountains today around Bear Creek and the Pinhoties. I took Green (my SS) for a spin after we put a "climbing" gear on it last night. I checked my ride time after Pinhoti 2, and surprisingly, I was just as fast on the SS as I am on my fastest geared-bike runs. Funny, since I'd alternate between working hard and hardly working...and I was really cautious on the descents. The combination of fresh leaves and being alone made me not want to push any limits. Perhaps what this really says is that I don't know how to use my gears efficiently, or maybe I'm just a big wimp, opting for an easier gear, just because its there.

This is the first time I've actually done any sustained climbs on the SS and I do think I prefer the Up-Down-Up-Down-Up-Down type of trails to the Up-Up-Up-Down-Down-Down type. The SS is a great tool for rolling trails when you just want to go fast and can recover after the hard efforts. In the mountains, it seems to be more of a device of suffering, especially on the 4-5 mile climbs. That being said, I still had fun and enjoyed the challenge so I'm sure I'll do it again - maybe even tomorrow since the weather will be good and we don't have any plans for Thanksgiving.

No comments: