Sunday, February 1, 2009

Slow Week

Thank goodness this week is over! I didn't feel very good this week so it's been hard to get off the couch, let alone do any meaningful training. Of course it was rainy on Wednesday, so I wasn't terribly motivated to get outside. After kicking myself out the door, my body decided it didn't really want to go for a run, so I had to cut it short and hike back to the house in the rain.

Things started to get better for the weekend and I managed an easy road ride with Chris on Saturday and an Orienteering Meet on Sunday. Chris suggested that I not use my compass to get better at reading the terrain and the details on the map. I gave it a try and it seemed to work well as I always knew where I was on the map. Granted, the park we were at had a ton of terrain to work with, so it was pretty obvious where you were in most places. The course setters were a little nasty and put one of the points on the opposite side of a creek/river - which I just stumbled through, not even trying to stay dry. A family was trying to cross and I heard a guy say "well, don't go where she's going" as I trudged through mid-thigh deep water.

Overall, I had a pretty good run on the course. I could have physically gone a bit faster, especially running the downhills, but I was a bit ginger with my foot placements and I haven't found a pair of orienteering shoes that I REALLY like. The ones I wore today - ICEBugs - are just so wide in the toebox that I feel like Bozo the Clown and they don't dry out quickly. I have another pair of Sarvas that I think might be good if I add some extra padding to them. I HAVE decided that the spikes make a major difference, especially in the leaves and off camber runs.

It appears it won't snow in the 'burbs this coming week, but as usual, the temperature will drop by Wednesday so that any mid-week riding is a fairly miserable experience. Perhaps I can find some snow on top of our favorite peaks..assuming I can get my butt up there!

No comments: