Saturday, March 15, 2008

Stormy

Woke up this morning feeling unmotivated about the Dirty Spokes 6 hour race, especially when I heard the thunder and rain beating against my bedroom windows. I half-heartedly got dressed, dragged the hubby out of bed and we loaded up the car and headed out for Heritage Park. I wasn't terribly jazzed about racing, as I'm still feeling run down from last weeks adventure race. We were about 5 minutes from the house when I got the call...it was Carey and she said they were all thinking about bailing on the 6 hour race. Chris immediately pulled the car over (guess he didn't want to stand out in the rain for 6 hours) while I talked to Carey and made the decision to bail as well. Chances are, it would have been a lousy race for me, and the thought of driving all the way out there, getting muddy and nasty, and then having to clean all the gear was just not all that appealing. We headed home, and since we were up so early, we got some much needed race prep taken care of.

When we thought the storm clouds had parted, we headed up to Pine Log Creek Trail to run.

We ran for about an hour, and then round two rolled in with thunder and lightening and some heavy rain. We made it back to the car right before all hell broke loose. We had some errands to run so we figured we'd stop at the Canton Super-Wal-Mart (yes, scary, I know...) We stopped to get gas first, and then the tornado sirens all started going off. Chris, checked the weather on his phone and sure enough, there was a tornado warning for the entire area. The front was still about 30 minutes from us, so we ended up heading home to take cover. The last thing I wanted was for my car to get pounded with huge hail...not to mention the brunt of the storm was heading right for the Riverstone Pkwy area (funny how Wal-Marts attract tornadoes..)

We made it home right before the big rain hit, so riding is probably out for this evening, as I really don't want to deal with cleaning my bike. I'm still debating over tomorrow's plans..I might just stay close to home so I can get some more race prep taken care of.

No comments: