Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Ankle Update

I went to the orthopedist yesterday where they took some x-rays and poked and prodded. Nothing is broken and my swelling has really gone down. His recommendation - take it easy for 4-6 weeks. Uh...hate to pee in your Cheerios Doc, but I'm planning on doing a pretty damn important race in two weeks!

I asked him for a script for PT so I could go see David Young at North Fulton Physical Therapy and Sports Medicine. I worked with David the last time I wrecked my ankle and he worked wonders, so despite him being an out-of-network provider on my new employer's insurance plan (thanks Cigna!), I wasn't taking any chances.

His opinion was a bit more optimistic than the ortho..he seemed to think two weeks might be enough time to get it back to reasonable shape. He took some measurements and said I likely keep turning my ankles because I am not flexible enough in the heel, and the outward rotation is the foot's way of compensating for that. Next it was ultrasound and a bunch of mundane strengthening exercises. The sad thing is that the exercises actually work! Next I had a "milking massage" which I should have known would be bad when he took me from the gym to an exam room. (so the others wouldn't hear my screaming, I suspect). It was pretty horrible, but effective and necessary to get all the remaining fluids out of my ankle area so it can heal. After enduring that, I will DEFINITELY be more diligent about stretching!

So I've got strenghtening exercises to do at home and I see him three more times before Nationals so I am very optimistic. I'll still have to be careful where I step, but if nothing else, it will slow us down a bit on foot so we can make better decisions.

5 comments:

Carey Lowery said...

Hope you continue to improve ... at lightspeed. I know how important Nats are for you, especially when it is in your own back yard.

Namrita O'Dea said...

great news...i'm sure you'll be fine! now go stretch :)

Neal said...

Yep, as I said...your a healer! Now make sure you follow Nam's advice and please be sure to post some nice stretching pics on your blog..it should up your readership as well as be good for your foot. ;) Cheers, Neal

Lisa said...

Neal,
I generally don't stretch naked, so I'm not sure how it would up my readership exactly...

Neal said...

Hmmmm...still an "informative " series of pics showing correct stretching technique would be a great asset to the endurance community.... although, perhaps a little more marketable sans a bit of clothing.

Good luck with healing and winning Nationals...I wager on you guys anyday....even if your a bit gimpy ;)

Cheers,
Neal