Monday, December 21, 2009

First Snow Ride of the Year

I wish I could suck at my job as much as the weather man sucks at his and still collect a paycheck...so where exactly was it supposed to be 45 and partly cloudy yesterday?

Our plan was to ride the Pinhoti's up to Highway 52 then head over to Tatum Lead Road/and the adjacent ORV area. After climbing up to Hwy 52 and nearly wiping out on the pavement (black ice), we crunched through some fresh snow on Pinhoti 4 that really made for a lot of work on the climbs. We popped out on Tatum Lead Road, which was covered in a sheet of ice. Not so much fun when you need to go downhill. At that point, we decided we didn't want any broken bones for Christmas and we headed back down the mountain and just rode the Pinhoti Trails in reverse. At this point, my lack of cold weather gear (sleep depravation made me forget my jacket) came back to bite me in the arse and I was starting to get chilled. Considering it was 38 degrees at our car when we finished the ride, I'm assuming it was easily in the 20's up at the higher elevations.

Today I started training with my new coach, Mike Schultz. Today was a strength day, tomorrow is an intensity day to gain some data about how my HR responds to stress and how quickly it recovers. Thankfully (or not), Miss Jayden woke up at 5 am this morning, so I was able to get my strength workout in before work. Its nice to know that I can just relax (is that possible with a 4 month old??) when I get home tonight.

Family members will start arriving at our house tomorrow so we should have quite the crowd for Christmas...7 adults, 2 babies, and 4 cats. It should make for a nice chaotic holiday!

No comments: