Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Look Ma, more oxygen!

Finally..I've found a GOOD side effect of being preggers...more red blood cells floating around and that equates to more oxygen going to your muscles. I first noticed it on Sunday, when I was actually able to ride my singlespeed up Springer Mtn AND carry on a conversation the entire time. I think I may have even out-chatted Kim, and that would be a first. Then yesterday while running a reasonably fast 5K, my HR was moderately high, yet I had this slow, super-relaxed breathing going on. Hmmm...nice. I won't complain, at least for a little while longer, until I look like a watermelon on wheels.

Since it stopped snowing and is back in the 60's, Kim and I rode at Pine Log today, although I made the mistake of swimming a mile before the ride, which left my upper body pretty tired. I'm guessing this will be my last rock-gardeny Pine Log ride for a while, which is fine by me because the yellow jackets seemed to have come out of winter hiding and are gunning for me.

Kim topping out the tower climb..she did the entire climb with eyes closed, as seen in this photo


The initial descent along the ridge, with Hanging Mountain off in the distance


These next pictures will likely land me an angry call from my concerned mother, but they were too cool not to post




Finally got to ride my favorite rock garden since we got the log out of the trail on our last visit...see ma, no blood or scratches on the knees and elbows, its all good!


We did an out-and-back to that last rock garden and then rode back down the now-cleared Hanging Mtn (which is a nasty hike-a-bike on the way up). Whoa, was it much better going down, but it was (or perhaps I was..) much slower than I thought it would be.

Rock cairn that marks the final ATV trail descent


The last descent was super fast and way more flowy now that it is clear. You can swoop your way all the way down to the big grass field. And to complete a near perfect ride, the road was even dry and smooth, so we didn't have to slog through quagmire to get back to our cars...always a plus.

Now I'm pooped and thinking of bathing in Traumeel to get rid of this constant aching back I seem to have now. Too bad I'm supposed to stay out of hot tubs, because that is sounding really good at the moment!

No comments: